Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Teen Craft: Glowing Jar


I was flipping through Instructables two years ago and came across this amazing project for a glowing sun jar.  I was completely sure that the teens would love the program but it required soldering which I 1.  Have had several horrible experiences with
and
2.  Soldering didn't feel like something I could pull off with a group of 20 teens ranging between 7th and 12th grade if I had to run the program by myself.  (This was before Maker Spaces gained popularity in the library)

However after looking through the instructable I decided to see if I could doctor it to make it more manageable for both myself and a large group of teens.

Materials:
Solar Powered Garden Lights (See photo on the left, these are ideal)
Wire Bale Glass Jar (jars in photo are not correct jars)
Glow in the Dark Paint (See note)
Foam brushes
Epoxy E-6000 Adhesive
Tin Foil
Hair Dryers
Packing Tape

1.  Paint a thin layer of glow in the dark paint on the inside of the jar.  Once finished hit the inside of the jar with the hair dryer until the paint is completely dry.  Repeat two more times for a total of 3 coats of paint.  If your initial coat of paint was thin it will be easier to apply subsequent coats of paint.

2.  Take a piece of tin foil, fold it into a square and stick it in the bottom of the jar.

3.  Unscrew the top of the light from the stake.  You don't need the stake for this project, you can either throw it away or save it for another project.  Unscrew the plastic from the garden stake as well.  It will just be a bare bulb hanging from the top.  Using the Epoxy glue the solar light into the top of the jar. Use two pieces of packing tape to hold the solar light in place until the adhesive dries and let the kids know that it can take up to 24 hours for it to dry.

Note:  I used Michael's paint on the test jar which is more green and ghoulish looking however it seemed to melt in the extreme summer heat over the course of the summer, I have since used paint purchased at Home Depot which seems to hold up better over time


No comments:

Post a Comment