Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

This was also part of the Omnibus phase I was talking about in my previous book review post.  I read about this run somewhere (I wanna say DC Girls Kicking Ass) and I love most of what Joss Whedon has done. I was also a huge fan of the X-Men way back when so I saw no bad here (This was the omnibus that started it all). It was a great read and I couldn't put it down. I was up until 4 am reading it.

There is a great intro in the beginning that catches you up on the history of the X-Men to this point, which was really useful b/c I am clueless about Emma Frost, the destruction of Genosha and the virus. 

A small group of X-men reform the superhero team and run the school. This one is less about the team as  students and more about the adults. The four story lines I thought went incredibly well together. 

Standouts for me:  I am a huge fan of Kitty Pride and Colossus separately so the two of them together was definitely awesome. I do wish they hadn't killed Kitty Pride off b/c I felt like she was a great character for girls to relate to, particularly young girls, although as evidenced through Colossus very few characters stay dead in the comics. I also really liked this version of Beast, both artistically and his evolution/de-evolution. He is still probably one of my favorite characters. 

I also actually loved the art style of the entire volume.  I'm thrilled they stuck with the same illustrator for the duration.  A worthwhile read for any X-Men or Joss Whedon fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment