Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Story Time: Letter B

My coworkers loved my A is for Alligator story time and suggested that I find a Letter B craft and keep going through the alphabet.  After spending a few days google image searching I came across a B is for Bear craft on the blog Get 'Er Done, Momma!  The craft included a template but it wasn't the ideal size for me and one of the arms was reversed so I spent some time finicking around with it.  I was pretty happy with the end result.  I pre cut the letter B and the bears limbs out of regular paper and handed out glue sticks and crayons so that the kids could draw bear faces after glueing everything down.


For story time I read 4 books and stuck with the Alphabet Song and the Hokey Pokey.  I decided that the best way to handle letter of the alphabet story times was to do two alphabet books to reinforce the alphabet as a whole and to alternate the alphabet books with two stories about objects or animals that start with B one of which would hopefully be related to the whatever the craft was going to be; a bear in this case.  The books were:

Alphabet Under Construction by Denise Fleming

Bears on Chairs by Shirley Parenteau

Augie to Zebra by Kate Endle

Small Bunny's Blue Blanket by Tatyana Feeney

Small Bunny's Blue Blanket, while an amazing story just didn't go over well. I almost felt like the story was too slow and subdued for my group. They loved Alphabet Under Construction with it's huge letters. The kids often called out the letters and then I repeated it and read the caption. Augie to Zebra was less popular because the letters were so much smaller. Bears on Chairs, while not as popular as Alphabet Under Construction was great because we managed to get a lot of interaction out of the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment