Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey

Charlie is a quiet nerdy kid and one night Jasper Jones, the town trouble maker shows up at his window asking Charlie for help. This leads to more trouble and difficulty then Charlie has ever experienced.

I thought this was going to be a murder mystery, but really it's a coming of age tale. More of the book focuses on Charlie growing up and coming to terms with himself, his best friend Jeffrey, his family and the town he is growing up in. Since I definitely did not like Charlie as much in the beginning as I did by the end I enjoyed watching him grow and change. 

Listening to this book was definitely a different experience. I guess it's the first time I've heard quite so much cursing in an audiobook since I had really been listening to a lot of children's stuff. I didn't realize how different it would sound then reading it if that makes sense. The cursing didn't take anything away and it is how teenagers talk sometimes so I don't fault the author for it, it was just different hearing it.  

Matt Cowlrick was the reader and even though his voices weren't all that different, he did a great job with different ways of speaking.  I always knew who was talking.

My bigger gripe was probably the long descriptions of the cricket game since I know nothing about cricket and it just felt like long stretches I didn't understand.

I've heard a lot of good things about Australian YA fiction.  I'm glad this made it's way here as I was definitely intrigued by it.  I'm a little bit behind on my Printz reading this year but I have two more months to wrap it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment